Recent Coaching engagements and typical conversations
Recognising a gap in support for businesses created out of London College of Fashion’s post-graduate programmes, I’m working with the Fashion Business School and Student Enterprise Team (SET) to design a programme of coaching and ongoing business support for the most promising businesses. I’m currently coaching the founders of four businesses through early-stage growth.
Private coaching clients have included the Managing Director of a workspace business with 1,400 desk spaces across a number of locations in central London, the CEO of a platform-based interior design business who has recently taken on seed funding, and a DJ and musical innovator building a SaaS-based musical platform.
For a leading early-stage venture capital firm, I coached CEOs of their portfolio businesses and one of the firm’s Partners.
Below are examples of typical coaching conversations:
- I need help articulating the Vision for my business.
- I don’t have a clear growth strategy. Can you help me define it?
- I need to develop a business plan and / or pitch deck for investors. Can you help me?
- Should I look for a loan or explore equity investment? How much, when, and what percentage of my business should I give away?
- How do I translate my ambition for 25% revenue growth this year into meaningful action?
- What sort of leader do I want to be?
- I don’t think my team are taking me seriously. What should I do?
- A member of the team is being particularly disruptive and sometimes malicious. How should I handle them?
- The organisational design of this business has not kept up with growth. How do I redesign and implement a new structure?
- My Board meeting is next week; I have specific issues to discuss but how should I position them and manage certain personalities?
- I want to improve my Board management skills generally and the effectiveness of the Board overall. Where should I start?
- My lead investor is trying to remove me as CEO and bring in their own. Help!
Recent Consulting engagements
Retained consultant to Centre for Fashion Enterprise incubator for the duration of their 3 year Fashion Technology Emerging Futures, a £1.5 million programme funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
- Deliver group workshops to startup and early-stage business on the business model canvas and business planning
- Work one-on-one with founders pursuing industry changing business models, adopting a coach-approach towards helping them identify and overcome business critical challenges (worked with 30+ businesses so far)
Closely involved for last 4 years with the London College of Fashion’s Executive MBA Consulting Project Unit, working with the Course Director to help structure the Unit, delivering training to students in consulting techniques and Supervising selected students through their consulting projects.
Recently completed eight month business restructuring project for a data science and marketing business employing 60 staff and generating £6.5 million annual turnover. Reported directly to the founders and Managing Director and became an interim member of the management team.
- Diagnostic review of the entire business with focus on operations, sales and business development, Account Planning and organisational design. Restructured these functions based on two way consultative process with management to ensure buy in
- Outputs included Client Service Excellence Handbook, including new Engagement Management Framework and Consultative Selling Framework, and a redesigned annual Account Planning process
- Trained Account Managers and Directors on implementation of new Account Planning process and facilitated half day workshops to train all members of client-facing team on new approach. Held additional workshops on Writing Effective Proposal writing and Running Effective Client workshops
- Coached and mentored Head of Consulting, helping her define the future of the consulting function
Full or half day coach-approach, facilitated Strategy Workshops.
Governance for startups and early-stage businesses training course – more details here.